Sunday, February 17, 2008

Savita's village - finally I've been to a marriage!

I had a really great week at the DIC. Christina, the nurse from Guelph/Hamilton who is also volunteering for SPYM, came with me to the drop-in centre to discuss safe injecting and abcess managements with the outreach workers and a few clients. We made plans on how to provide a workshop for the outreach workers on dressing changes (primarily for abcesses) but we are very restricted in resources, so it will be a huge challenge.
I spent Saturday evening and this Sunday morning in Annu's mother's village in Harayana. There was a wedding there which we were invited to, so I was FINALLY able to attend an Indian marriage. It was incredibly different from any wedding I've been too. Even though there were a lot of people there, it didn't seem that crowded because the ceremony is so long, not every guest watches every party of the wedding. Also, as opposed to overflowing with joy, the bride and groom look like they want to crawl under a rock and die... I guess I would too if I was marrying someone I had not yet had a conversation with. As expected, there was an abundance of delicious foods, and it was hard so say no when everyone continued to offer more. Because it was a village and tourists don't really go to villages, many people were surprised to see me there. Kids are always the funniest, but lots of young women showed off their English by asking me their name. We slept at Annu's uncle's (mom's brother) family home, and they were very welcoming. This morning, Annu and I 'helped' (watched) her aunt make breakfast, which was made on a cast iron pan over a wood fire. After breakfast, they showed me the hookah they use to smoke tobacco, which is heated by burning cow/buffalo patties - mmmmm!!!! On the way back, we stopped at a 'bird sanctuary' which was a little low on birds, but still a really nice place to walk around. Annu's dad even pulled off a branch from a tree for me to brush my teeth!

No comments: