Saturday, February 23, 2008

coming back soon

I decided to buy a sari because we're planning a farewell party and the dress is 'formal Indian,' and hopefully I'll be able to come back to India for Annu's wedding. The blouse is currently being made at the tailor's down the street, and I'll be able to pick it up on Monday. I also got a few other shirts and kurtas made, averaging about $6 Canadian for fabric and labour (not bad for a custom fit!).

It finally is starting to feel like I'm leaving soon.... Only eleven sleeps left in India!!! I'm trying to make sure I do and see everything on the many checklists I've made since arriving, and I know there are lots of things I will miss, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to coming home. I remember arriving here and thinking everything was SOOO different, and I was always interpreting and analyzing what was going on around me. Now everything seems more or less 'normal' here. I don't think twice when I see an eight year old digging through garbage looking for things that can be sold, a physically challenged man using his arms to move along the sidewalk, or the many children in the marketplaces asking for money. I am really excited to get back into Canada and go through the same process of questioning everything that I did when I got here. There are definitely things I miss and will appreciate more (hot showers lasting more than three minutes, baking food in an oven, being able to drive places without a two hour traffic jam) and I'm sure there will be things that I have trouble adjusting back to.

No comments: